Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi Everybody

2 posters

Go down

Hi Everybody Empty Hi Everybody

Post  agco Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:20 pm

What a wonderful idea to originate this forum.
I just wanted to post the following and hope some of you find it interesting...

Growing older...
Only children look forward to getting older. The rest of us wish we could stop time. But we have no power over the aging process as it unfolds before us and upon us. We can spend a fortune on hair implants and plastic surgery, but these procedures can’t make us even one day younger. What we do have, though, is the power to choose how we respond to our own aging. We can dread it, or we can embrace all the gifts that our years have to offer.
Growing older can certainly feel like a curse, especially in a society that idolizes youth. Aging inevitably brings with it a series of losses: the loss of employment and identity; the loss of control, of physical strength and health; the loss of friends; the loss of an illusion of invincibility. But aging also bestows a vast array of blessings upon us: the freedom of life without work, the joys of grandchildren and great-grandchildren, the identity as the elder of a family, the perspective on life that can only be gained through years, the awareness of human frailty, the link to the past that elders can offer, the wisdom that comes with age.
We can get older against our will and become frightened, frustrated, and angry, or we can grow older and reap all the benefits of age. Growing older means that we actively choose to continue to develop and live and learn and give and teach and help and bless this world.

A prayer for aging with dignity...
I don’t want to grow old God. I don’t want any part of it. But since I have no power to stop the clock, my prayer is this: Let me age with grace.
Show me the way, God. Be with me. Grant health to my body and clarity to my mind. Give me strength. Help me to overcome my vanity. Teach me to combat self-pity. Don’t allow me to become set in my ways. Shield me from isolation and from loneliness.
May the love of my family and friends be my reward for all the struggles of my youth.
Let all the blessings of age emanate from me. Let wisdom flow from my mouth, let compassion flow from my heart, let acts of kindness flow from my arms, let faith flow from my soul, let joy shine forth from my eyes. Amen.
agco
agco

Back to top Go down

Hi Everybody Empty Wonderful

Post  maryf Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:46 pm

Hello Agco:
What a wonderfully enlightening message you posted titled "Growing Older." I hope many more people get a chance to read it.
Thanks for posting it.
maryf
maryf
Honored Member
Honored Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum